POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Brsuhing up on math - intersection sphere-cylinder : Re: Brsuhing up on math - intersection sphere-cylinder Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brsuhing up on math - intersection sphere-cylinder
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 9 Jan 2001 19:03:07
Message: <3A5BA61F.55D37627@videotron.ca>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> Doh!
> I should have known it would be much easier with an isosurface. Actually I
> considered it but since I know very little of those I decided to do it the hard
> way. It took me ten times as much code to get a similar result (I saw the
> picture you posted, looks very much like mine!)

The isosurface is only the green parabolic prism.  What you are looking
for is the red "squashed torus".  The whole point of my post was a
6am-didn't-have-my-coffe-yet-cheap-shot at Mr. "math club geek" Fontaine
showing that the equation he derived was not enough to represent the
true intersection curve of the sphere and cylinder.

> Thank you, now at least I have some more stuff to digest and since I was also
> (finally) trying my luck with isosurfaces I'll have something to play with.

Don't despair, that was my very first isosurface ever too. (Many thanks
to one of the two Fabiens for his tutorial on isos
<http://users.skynet.be/bs936509/iso/iso-tut.htm>)

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque     | button on a cat who wants breakfast.