POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scattering diagrams : Re: scattering diagrams Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scattering diagrams
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Jan 2001 08:48:20
Message: <3A51DC23.B40FE425@gmx.de>
Fabien Mosen wrote:

> Could someone explain me how I should read the scattering diagrams
> in the "media" section of the POV-Ray documentation ?
>
> I'd like to know, especially, what are the values on the axes,
> and how I should understand them.

I think they are fairly easy to understand.  As the text next to the
diagram on the left says the light is coming from the left.  The curve
shows the intensity of scattered light depending of the camera.  If you
look staight against the light source the intensity is maximum in most
scattering models.

The scale of the axis is simply fractions of the maximum intensity.

The values on the horizontal axis mean:
left: intensity when light source is behind the camera
right: intensity when camera is pointing directly towards the light source

The values on the vertical axis mean:
camera viewing direction orthogonal to the illumination direction

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>