POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: assume gamma and display gamma : Re: assume gamma and display gamma Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assume gamma and display gamma
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 24 Dec 2000 04:47:30
Message: <3A45C631.3F56643C@ij.net>
Jonathan Rafael Ghiglia wrote:

> I don't know how to properly set the assume and display gamma. After a
> test with the "monitor gamma adjustment" of Paint Shop Pro I know my
> monitor's gamma should be 1.21, but if I set both the assume gamma in
> the global settings and the display gamma in the INI file to 1.21 I
> get my images too dark (the same thing happens if I set both to 2.2,
> for example). If I set the assume gamma to 1.21 and leave the display
> gamma to 2.2 (the default value) I get my images too bright. How
> should I set the two values? What is more, some of my PNG images seem
> to look really too dark with some viewers, while with most viewers
> they look right. Is it due to the image file gamma stored in PNG
> files?

	I have not read the other responses before I post this.

	My answer is there is no right answer.

	That is one of the reasons why Gimp and Photoshop and similar are
permitted to change things within reasonable limits.

	It takes a bit of practice to make everything work together but they
do.

--
He who casts a vote decides nothing.
He who counts the votes decides everything.