POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : patch object? : Re: patch object? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: patch object?
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 24 Dec 2000 04:39:24
Message: <3A45C44B.7B6C314F@ij.net>
Chris Colefax wrote:

> Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote:
> >
> > Literally a patch? No, attached is what it objects to being added.
>
> Well, not quite literally a patch.  What you do have is light sources inside
> the union, which is valid.  But how can POV-Ray determine the result of
> differencing a light source from an object (OK - I guess one possibility
> would be to use the negative of the light's colour...).  In this case,
> however, POV-Ray light sources are defined with patch objects as those
> elements which may not be used negatively in CSG, hence the error you are
> getting.
>
> The solution is to remove the light sources from the ship2 object, if you
> want to be able to difference ship2 from other objects.  If you want the
> light sources to be where they would be in the differenced result, simply
> declare and use them separately:
>
>    #declare ship2 = union {...}
>    #declare ship2lights = union {light_source ... }
>
>    union {
>       difference {
>          object {object1}
>          object {ship2 translate x*4}
>          superellipsoid {...}
>          }
>       object {ship2lights translate x*4}
>       }

	I will give it a try, thanks. The lights are not the issue rather the
spheres are as they go through an object composed of text. So I could
care in the least about them. I just want a subtraction and I realize
the problem with creating informative error messages.

	Worst case, see you on ITRC animations. :)

--
It you drink too much whiskey you are likely
to shoot at liberals and miss.