POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Needed: up & down in normals! : Re: Needed: up & down in normals! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Needed: up & down in normals!
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 15 Dec 2000 13:23:32
Message: <3A3A6040.9A128B84@my-dejanews.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> > I think it would be wonderful if I could simply say normal{down} .
>
> I'm not sure if i understand what you mean, but have you tried slope_maps?
> Furthermore remember that normal{} only changes the normal vector but not
> the geometry.

Consider this analogy.

Many people might like to use the wrinkles pattern to describe a color map,
where one might ascribe the color "black" to where the function is 0, and
"white" where the function is 1.   Some other people might want an all-black
image. Instead of going through a color_map, they are allowed so simply say
pigment{Black}.  There are situations, mine most acute, where it would be
wonderful to say "normal{down}".  Using an analogy comparing an unideal normal
nomenclature  to pigment, we'd be forcing someone to say:

    pigment{
        gradient y  //or wrinkles
        pigment_map{
            [0 Black]