POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : polygons or triangles : Re: polygons or triangles Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: polygons or triangles
From: chris
Date: 14 Dec 2000 01:29:50
Message: <3A386840.67044BB7@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> You can put triangles in a mesh, which can be much more efficient in
> memory usage. Also, if you have more than one copy of the object, a copy
> of a mesh will use the same data, saving even more memory, while a copy
> of a union of polygons will copy *all* the data.

Thanks, but I thought of another problem.
If I devide my complex freeform-surface up into polygons (quads) or
trinangles and I want to render it (pov or another highquality
renderer), there is the problem of defining a "smooth" transition from
one element to the next, which is done with "spline"-patches, first (and
second?) derivative at the boundaries the same (I'm not a
math-expert..). I think, that both types (patches from quads or
triangles) give a little different aproximation of the
free-form-surface, but which one is the better one ?