POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : wood grain degrades poorly at lower resolutions : Re: wood grain degrades poorly at lower resolutions Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wood grain degrades poorly at lower resolutions
From: David Beccue
Date: 13 Dec 2000 17:15:22
Message: <3A37F573.9953BB65@Beccue.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:55:28 -0800, David Beccue wrote:
> >When I render my wood grain, it looks great close-up (i.e. 2000x1500
> >resolution) but it has ugly patterns in it at lower resolutions.  Is
> >there some way to make the lower resolutions degrade more realistically?
>
> Antialiasing.

I've tried numerous anti-aliasing parameters of the following form
+a +r3 +am1 +J

where I've varied the X in +aX.X and +rX and +amX and even -J and +JX

I still can't get the patterns (Moire ?) to go away.  Can anyone recommend
particular anti-aliasing parameters to try.  Someone suggested making the
image twice as big and letting an image editor sample it down, but that won't
be useful for my application.  I need each rendering to work without any
post-processing.

Thanks,
David