POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : text around a circle : Re: text around a circle Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: text around a circle
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 13 Dec 2000 00:17:08
Message: <3A370654.505CA068@ij.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:16:28 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:

> >       If I read the description in the docs correctly, the first letter (and
> >I say create one letter at a time, rotate (see oops!) and translate
> >separately) starts at 0,0 x,y with descenders in -y. Therefore if
> >creating single letters and moving them the proportional spacing has no
> >impact.

> It will have an impact on the appearance, though.  Letters that are designed
> narrow will have too much space around them.

	Give it a try and see how it looks is all I can say.

	While I am certain some typefaces are designed to look best in
proportional, the difference is mostly in not centering the character in
a fixed sized bit space. They are defined in vector space rather than
bit space. It is setting the proportional "bit" and by the type of font
(.ttf and whatever) letting the font driver fit it with the default
kerning or user set kerning if that is available.

	The essentials of that are in the docs on the text type.

	At some point I am going to have to ask if you are interested in
helping the man with his question or counting coup on me. You do have a
feel for why Tex filled seven thick volumes before whatisname gave up?

--
Dumber than a West Palm Democrat.
	-- The Iron Webmaster, 336