POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Double? Reasons for pixelation in mandelbrot : Re: Double? Reasons for pixelation in mandelbrot Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double? Reasons for pixelation in mandelbrot
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Dec 2000 10:17:58
Message: <3A34F026.915095DB@gmx.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> WARNING:  I use MegaPov, but assume this is a 3.1g question, not a
> mega-team's-code question.
>
> Q1:
> When I zoomed in on the Mandelbrot pattern with a camera 10 units away
> from the pattern and an angle of 10E-12, I start to see pixelation in
> the pattern.  I assume I've hit some kind of wall in the precision the
> Mandel algorithm, povray itself, C itself, or my CPU.

First there is the max_iteration parameter, but you probably already
checked it.

The double data type itself can store values from
1.7 x 10^-308 to 1.7 x 10^308 so i don't think that is the problem
(although i'm not totally sure)

> Q2:
> For playing with the Mandelbrot pattern itself, I find povray to be far
> superior to excellent programs like Fractint or perhaps even Tierazon.
> The math behind these fractals have to do with the number of iterations
> on some complex math before it explodes.  The question is, is there any
> way to insert another equation into pov and have it compute this
> iterations-till-explosion?   That is the one advantage that Tierazon
> would still have over povray-- a huge grab bag of equations to play
> with.  I figured out how to do math on the standard result of the
> Mandelbrot--such as the square or sine of the value in the pattern, but
> I'm looking for more...

In megapov there are some more fractal types, furthermore i think it would
be possible to use the isosurface function parser for this purpose.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>