POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Double? Reasons for pixelation in mandelbrot : Double? Reasons for pixelation in mandelbrot Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Double? Reasons for pixelation in mandelbrot
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 11 Dec 2000 08:53:23
Message: <3A34DAE9.30135268@my-dejanews.com>
WARNING:  I use MegaPov, but assume this is a 3.1g question, not a
mega-team's-code question.

Q1:
When I zoomed in on the Mandelbrot pattern with a camera 10 units away
from the pattern and an angle of 10E-12, I start to see pixelation in
the pattern.  I assume I've hit some kind of wall in the precision the
Mandel algorithm, povray itself, C itself, or my CPU.

One of the things this non-programmer loves about pov is that I don't
have to study 12 variable types--I put down gagging the Java and C books
that start with a couple of chapters on this subject .   However, is
there a way to get more precision, especially inside the Mandelbrot
pattern itself?

Q2:
For playing with the Mandelbrot pattern itself, I find povray to be far
superior to excellent programs like Fractint or perhaps even Tierazon.
The math behind these fractals have to do with the number of iterations
on some complex math before it explodes.  The question is, is there any
way to insert another equation into pov and have it compute this
iterations-till-explosion?   That is the one advantage that Tierazon
would still have over povray-- a huge grab bag of equations to play
with.  I figured out how to do math on the standard result of the
Mandelbrot--such as the square or sine of the value in the pattern, but
I'm looking for more...