POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best size for CD cover? : Re: Best size for CD cover? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Best size for CD cover?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Dec 2000 11:32:53
Message: <3A33B032.E12182F6@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> It depends on your printer.  I would suggest a fraction of the actual
> printer resolution and smallest point size, i.e. for a 600 dpi printer more
> than 150 dpi will waste the printer's memory and take longer to print (if it
> prints at all).  This assumes you are using the printer (or its drivers)
> halftone mode, of course.  If your printer supports only 300 dpi or the
> printer memory is not sufficient to hold the whole image in 150 dpi
> (unlikely, but still), even 100 dpi will give you a newspaper like
> resolution.  If you have a printer that is advertised tooutput with 1200
> dpi, a slightly higher resolution, maybe as high as 300 dpi for the image
> might improve quality.

With B/W laser printers, especially if it is only a 300 dpi printer, it's
often worth trying to do the rastering with software dithering.  It
usually produces higher contrast and less smooth results but depending on
the actual picture it can be better.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>