POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2^3*4^4: quick what is it? : 2 applications for not typing in every friggin number. Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  2 applications for not typing in every friggin number.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 1 Dec 2000 08:34:37
Message: <3A27A791.7BD9B44F@my-dejanews.com>
Ken wrote:

> Just out of curiosity if you know the answer is 2048 why don't you
> just put 2048 in as your declared value ? Sure would make your
> code more readable.
> <duck>

I)
For my fractal animation ("Warp's Julia Island Forest in Winter,")  I
explored 11.85 orders of magnitude in camera angle. My variable for the
camera angle went something like (roughly from memory):
   #declare angie=1.2*10^(1-11.85*clock);
Then I could set up a zooming animation, just debugging out the value of
angie with each frame.

II)
Another application involved using the cells pigment in an isosurface to
make a city.  The max gradient value has a huge effect on the "quality" of
the image (the diffuse==0 problem for step functions in isosurfaces).  I
set up an animation with a variable  for max gradient called
   #declare maxie=1.2^(33*clock+1);
and added a text object to the animation  (roughly from memory)
   text_object{"timrom.ttf",str(maxie,3,1),1,0         //blahblahblah
The result was my own tutorial showing me the effect of the max gradient on
the quality of the image.

Oops--this should have gone in p.u.p.  :-|

:)