POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New computer for use with PovRay : Re: New computer for use with PovRay Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New computer for use with PovRay
From: Ken
Date: 30 Nov 2000 16:04:59
Message: <3A26C1AC.5E65716D@pacbell.net>
Peter Cracknell wrote:

>  In terms of
> POVRay performance I don't think there'd be much between them, but isn't
> more RAM only especially useful with larger scenes?

About the only time I need more than 128 megs of ram is when I am
using recursive functions such as tree generating programs or other
memory intensive fractal type objects. Photons can also chew up
memory but again 128 is, for the average user, more than adequate.
I would say that for greater than 90% of POV-Ray users 128 megs
is enough. If you think that someday you will become a power user
of the program who is going to push the envelope you will want to
have at least another 128 megs of RAM at your disposal. I have 256
megs right now and will be upgrading soon to 512 megs but I consider
myself a power user rather than the average user of the program
and feel I can justify the added expense of more memory for my
system based on my use of the program.

--
Ken Tyler