POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2^3*4^4: quick what is it? : Re: 2^3*4^4: quick what is it? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2^3*4^4: quick what is it?
From: Ken
Date: 29 Nov 2000 22:38:26
Message: <3A25CC61.96232DF0@pacbell.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
>
> > It's worth noting that this is not a question for .general.
>
> Okeleeedoke.  I expected a criticsm for not putting this in povray.advanced-users,
> since it's a math question, but then again povray.new-users since it's a stupidly
> simply one, or even povray.off-topic, but the experts like Ron aren't subscribed
> to that anymore,  AND I didn't realize that the ^ was inoperative for general
> declarations in 3.1g.

Don't let it upset you too much. I think Ron is just having a bad hair day.

*BUT* he does bring up a valid point. Whenever an inconsistency arises
in one of the unofficial versions of the program they should indeed be
discussed in the unofficial patches group. That fact you were using
MegaPov when the problem occured should have been your first clue on
where to post the message. A good reason for this is when someone like
Ron, a member of the POV-Team, sees a question like this arise he may
be tempted to spend time looking at the source code for POV-Ray and try
to understand where the inconstancy lies. If he wastes his time looking
in the official source code, for problems that don't apply to it, he may
not be so generous next time trying to be of help. It is a matter of
courtesy to him, and the other Team members who monitor and maintain
these groups, to try to help keep them organized and on topic.

--
Ken Tyler