POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : --> Help! INSTALL = Kernel32.dll crash <--- : Re: --> Help! (?) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:06:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: --> Help! (?)
From: BEARlabs
Date: 21 Nov 2000 15:38:33
Message: <3A1ADD05.14B1E882@coollink.net>
The endless ennui of windoze goes on:

I defragged using the proceedures in the windowstrouble website - also
ran
SFC... that revealed possible "Windows/System" file corrupted - oh
great....

Apparently my OEM System CDR puts "CABS" in a subdirectory, so you can
extract files to fix bad ones from there... did that for Kernel32.dll,
Taskmon.exe
(the latter gave a Kernel32.dll error), and Vmm32.vxd, for good luck...

no change.

Also deleted the Win386.swp swap file and emptied the temp directory...

no luck.

But the computer still works, so that is good.

The windowstrouble website is good... read most of it.

It seems to me that the ONLY way to run windows98 is to have a SEPARATE
physical drive for the OS, and a large drive for everything else. Then
set up your
file system so that there are separate folders in one place with all the
nice zipped
downloads, and in one place with all the setup files neatly arrayed...
NOT like the
stupid thing comes from the factory... dumb and dumber...

Looks like I'll have to spend a few days doing this... of course there
is tons of interminable
and indeterminable files dumped hither and yon by all sorts of things
(what is all this
chaff??)

I think the windowstrouble site gave a way to reinstall the system and
keep your
preferences - wouldn't that be nice. Oddly, on a mac it is all
transparent - or it was
last time I looked. Isn't MS-DOS based software just GREAT!!

Anyone have any other ideas, before I go forward and have to re-install
my entire
(so-called) system??

            _-_-bear