POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Regarding stars in a scene : Re: Regarding stars in a scene Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regarding stars in a scene
From: David Fontaine
Date: 19 Nov 2000 01:04:11
Message: <3A176CF2.8C06396C@faricy.net>
"Bob H." wrote:

> That's an untruth actually.
> Take a granite color map, for example, which disperses a star-like pattern with
parts (dots) being scaled too
> small to be seen (when AA is used especially, not sure at the moment if this does in
all cases) and then try an
> increase in color value.  I think the previously invisible pixels will then appear.
> You might be right though about it when non-AA rendering.
> Same goes for objects too I think.  Seems I've encountered that before.

Correct, it only works with AA. Still, though, only to an extent and some still
disappear entirely.

If a star is "between the cracks" AA will completely miss it, because neighboring
pixels will be black. In the case
of getting caught and aa'd, the aa will of course decrease brightness as the star is
only part of the pixel.
Angular size is still the predominant factor.

It is very annoying to create good stars in POV when changing quality settings from
one render to another!