POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How are radiosity samples calculated? : Re: How are radiosity samples calculated? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:08:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How are radiosity samples calculated?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 14 Nov 2000 14:09:00
Message: <3A118EF0.809466D3@unforgettable.com>
Warp wrote:

> Xplo Eristotle <inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote:
> : Here's what's bothering me, though: I have a small room with no
> : traditional lighting and a rad source (1/8th of a three foot radius
> : sphere with ambient 8 or so) in one corner, and the light it shines on
> : the far wall is decidedly splotchy, even with the nearest_count pumped
> : to 20 (the max) and the count cranked up to 600 (I really don't want to
> : go higher, as it's already slow enough, and *shouldn't* have to).
>
>   The problem is that since your bright object is small, the rays sent
> from each intersection point will hit it only rarely. This means that only
> few of these points will be illuminated by that bright object while the
> others are dark. This is what causes the splotchiness.

I'm aware of that, but I really don't see any excuse for this much
splotchiness with that many samples. Even the bright areas near the
"light" are noticibly uneven, and unless someone has a better
explanation, I blame the sampling method; maybe it's not random enough,
so the generated numbers tend to repeat themselves and the results don't
average out as well as one might expect.

The light isn't even really that tiny; imagine a glowing beanbag chair
crammed in a ceiling corner of your bedroom and you have a fair idea of
the proportions of the scene.

-Xplo