POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How are radiosity samples calculated? : Re: How are radiosity samples calculated? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How are radiosity samples calculated?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 13 Nov 2000 14:12:42
Message: <3A103E50.2EF00DC7@unforgettable.com>
Fabien Mosen wrote:

> Sorry, I can't answer to your question.  However, I have a suggestion..
> Why not organise a "radiosity roundtable" ?  Let me explain : when
> radiosity appeared in POV-Ray, the availiable computers made it very
> slow, and thus difficult to master.  Slowly, people started to
> understand how it sould be used to give good results, and realised
> that the "right way" was quite different from what the docs said.
> At one point, when our favorite sport was "rad without light source",
> Nathan decided to modify the core code.  It worked ten times better
> than before, but, still, people started making interesting discoveries
> (you, TonyB, Gilles, and others), which again showed that the engine
> was better than what the programmers tought !!  So, my suggestion is to
> do some "comferences", where concerned people could publicly exchange
> their views about how it works, how it acts, how it could work...

I was actually in the midst of putting together some webbable material
on low-error radiosity when it occurred to me to ask this question.
Won't be done for a while, though; I'm still making a demo scene, and
that takes a while to render (and eats more RAM than I can really give
it; low-error is pretty RAM-intensive).

-Xplo