POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How are radiosity samples calculated? : How are radiosity samples calculated? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  How are radiosity samples calculated?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 12 Nov 2000 20:04:50
Message: <3A0F3F54.4AA4250A@unforgettable.com>
A question for Nathan, or anyone else who knows...

I thought that radiosity works a bit like blurred reflection, shooting
out X samples in random directions to gather environmental information,
but I've been experimenting some more today and it seems like this may
not be the case.

So how *does* it work, exactly? And if it is like blurring, wouldn't an
option to shoot out rays which are evenly spaced over an area instead of
randomly-aimed produce smoother and more accurate results, assuming a
decently-large (say, at least a hundred) number of samples?

-Xplo