POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Opinion: Replies too general... : Re: Opinion: Replies too general... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opinion: Replies too general...
From: Ken
Date: 3 Nov 2000 11:32:26
Message: <3A02E8E1.308DCDF9@pacbell.net>
Josh English wrote:

> As far as answering a questions, I don't mind "Read Section 5.4.2 of the Manual" or
> "look at question 34 of the VFAQ". Those arent' so bad.

  When I point someone to the VFAQ I direct them to the exact passage
that applies to the question asked. If I point to the manual I often
copy and paste the relevant part into the body of my reply with additional
explanations as warranted.
  The VFAQ took a lot of time and effort to write and IMO offers
a valuable service to the community. We wrote it so we don't have
to answer the same simple questions over and over and over again
here in the groups. But like any resource it is not all encompassing
and there are many times when a worded response is warranted and
I don't think you will find any lack of that around here.