POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Opinion: Replies too general... : Re: Opinion: Replies too general... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opinion: Replies too general...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Nov 2000 08:12:44
Message: <3A02B9B1.EF08AA56@inapg.inra.fr>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> have you ever asked a question about povray, a specific question and got the
> answer "Read the manual, that should answer your question" or "Try
> www.povray.org or www.irtc.org they got plenty of examples..." ??  I mean...  I
> know that already!  I'm actually pretty good at povray and I read a lot of the
> manual and looked a some of the examples!  This is a useless answer, why do
> people answer this kind of thing?

Most often, the question itself shows that the user didn't bother at all to read the
manual, or doesn't know about the examples in the demos directory. Some questions are
also very vague, or general, with no simple answer.
I do agree, however that some of the knee-jerk RTFM answers are a little rude.
It's also true that some of the answers are so well hidden in the manual that even
experienced users may have trouble finding them.

G.