POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : modest problem : Re: modest problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modest problem
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 2 Nov 2000 16:51:55
Message: <3A01E1F5.B1D0A04@ij.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3A01DBB1.F6A1469D@ij.net>, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet>
> wrote:
>
> >       I've had this before and faked it. The attached file has the only light
> > source at +Z and a camera at -Z. I can see the unilluminated side of the
> > sphere. Note all sources of reflections are commented out.
>
> Your indentation style is horrible. :-)
> Also, "scale 1" doesn't do anything.

	Guilty as charged. Noodling around trying to correctly solve this
problem correctly.

> And you use an image map...I
> replaced it with "wrinkles color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1]}" so I could
> render the file.

> I assume the problem is that you don't want to see the dark side of the
> sphere? Give the sphere an ambient of 0. It is currently at 0.5, which
> means the minimum illumination will be 0.5. You could also specify
> ambient_light 0 in global_settings, this sets the ambient value of
> everything in the scene to 0.

	Playing with ambient is one of the ways of faking it. If there is no
illumination, why should anything be visible regardless of the ambient?
I just want things to behave according to the scene description.

	I have this image of the light reflecting off of the camera ...:)