POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I'm Back! : Re: I'm Back! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm Back!
From: Chris C
Date: 29 Oct 2000 07:51:41
Message: <39fc1d5d@news.povray.org>
> If I remember correctly, all that was 'redesigned' in that makeover were the
> colours on the site and the layout of the main page, as well as some font changes
> (correct me if I'm wrong!).  I think a real redesign would involve new 'user

Not correct. The entire back-end was radically altered from a static HTML basis
to being almost completely dynamically-generated (using mod_perl, templates, and
data files). This included things such as the hall of fame etc, which would have
been MUCH easier to maintain.

So while it may have looked similar from the viewers perspective, nothing could
be further from the truth.

However, all this took more memory, and the new memory we added to the machine
was causing it to crash so it had to be yanked. We only recently (about three
weeks ago) got this put back (different brand of RAM, no more crashes).

That aside, I will not bring the new design back since it had problems with 256
color mode and too many people bitched about it. It will have to wait until I have
some free time to correct the colors. I am also considering (nothing concrete yet)
adding slashcode or some other news-type setup to the site. The server is already
equipped with everything it needs for this (apart from a time machine so I can
stuff 36 hours into a single day).

-- Chris