POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : question: need 2 curve memory req's for scene... : Re: question: need 2 curve memory req's for scene... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question: need 2 curve memory req's for scene...
From: Johnny Smith
Date: 29 Oct 2000 02:11:28
Message: <39fbcda0@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <Chr### [at] schunteretctu-bsde> wrote in
message news:39FBC845.A7362BB5@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de...

> Johnny Smith wrote:
> >
> >     I'm using an image AS a heightfield in several different places
within a
> > scene.
> > Each time I use it..I must read it in...each time I do..it requires more
and
> > more
> > memory...  Any way to read ONCE...and then assign something to it?
> > I guess the equivalent would be a pointer C/C++
> >

> Just declare it and use a reference each time:
>
> #declare HF=height_field { png "E:\Gizmo-sick\ceiling2.png" }
>
> object {
>     HF
>     scale <4, .19, 2>
>     texture { Carpet scale .7 finish { ambient .5 } }
>     rotate <180, 0, 0>
>     translate < -3.2, -0.809, 7.2> // Center around origin

        But every time I use it..in otherwords...I write  object { HF }
it will load ANOTHER copy right?  Meaning..for each oject...
the memory requirements will double...
I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no way to get/force povray
to only load ONCE the image  "E:\Gizmo-sick\ceiling2.png"
and then all subsequent uses refer to that ONE instance only?

                                        Johnny