POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I'm Back! : I'm Back! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  I'm Back!
From: Twyst
Date: 26 Oct 2000 03:48:26
Message: <39f7e1ca@news.povray.org>
Did ya miss me? I'm back, and with a proposal for the community. No, no, not
one of those "send me money, I'll make you rich" schemes....

My life has finally come back around to the point where I can get back into
the community, and do something again. =D
I've still been semi-active in the IRC channel, and I've been honing my web
design and programming skills.

Here's the thought - http://povray-central.net  - Somewhat like the
twysted.net of old, but much, much better.

There are 2 reasons for my doing this.
1) I've noticed that there still is no major web-based information portals -
No major image galleries outside of the IRTC, etc. Other than povray.org,
there's not much, at least as far as I've found (checking through the Open
Directory Project yields 39 links.) I could be wrong, and if so, please
don't hesitate to correct me.

2) Experience. I'm working on a resume for web programming/design, and I'd
like to have several sites under my belt. My current project, which is about
95% complete, is http://anime-central.net - There's no content yet, but the
codebase is almost finished. I'm currently rewriting my link system, from
scratch, to give the functionality that I need.

Here are some of the features that I envision coding into the site, some of
which I've already done for anime central:

- Multi-page article system - entirely web-based, with an optional image on
each page. This is similar to tomshardware.com.
- Links Directory - Similar to the DMOZ.org system , but written entirely by
me. PHP is wonderful.
- Newsfeeds - from other graphics/povray related sites. - Possibly
newsgroups - but that would be a nightmare.
- Code Gallery - Searchable, subcategorized code snippets.
- Image Gallery - This is gonna be the fun one. All images stored in the
database, so no problems with duplicate filenames, etc.
- Threaded News Discussion, like slashdot.
- Software Reviews
- Benchmarks
- Tutorials (I have a good idea for this. =D )

A lot of what I'm programming is web interfaces to speed site updating. Why
use an editor, and FTP it over, when I can fill out a form, and it's
auto-magically updated?

Anyways - I wanted to get some discussion on this. One of the things that I
will request, is that I get more people than just me working on this - I
suffered from some major burnout last time. I don't mind doing the
programming - it's consistant, steady content that I have trouble with.

Noel "Twyst" Bundy
http://anime-central.net
twy### [at] twystednet
ICQ# 60616248