POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Toughts about texturing system : Re: Toughts about texturing system Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:08:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toughts about texturing system
From: Rune
Date: 4 Oct 2000 16:02:55
Message: <39db8cef@news.povray.org>
"Fabien Mosen" wrote:
> > None of those values are dependent on light positions or other
> > objects' positions or anything. (If I specify reflection to be
> > 0.6, then it is 0.6 independent on other objects.)
>
> That is the DEFINITION, not the resulting value !!
> When POV-Ray searches the finish value for a pixel, it doesn't
> search the "0.6", since it *already* knows that, it searchs for
> the color of the reflected ray, which will be multiplied by 0.6
> before being "incorporated" with the pigment and normal values.

So what you're looking at is the resulting value; in other words the colour
value seen by the camera.

In that case, in order to compare, you also have to see at the resulting
value for the pigment and for the normal.

The problem is, it doesn't make sense. You can't separate the resulting
colour of pigment, normal and finish from each other, because they're all
dependent on each other and on external conditions.

> (and, BTW, ambient and diffuse shouldn't be in finish, since
> they are view-independent)

Well there you go. Where should they go then, if not in the finish? And what
about brilliance? And what is it anyway that makes you think that finish =
view-dependent?

> The finish is MORE fundamentally dependant on those things, since it
> needs camera/lights/objects data to give its value for some point of
> a surface.

No. A pigment has a colour no matter if there's any light_sources (or
cameras) or not. But you can only see it if there's light and camera.
Similarly, a finish has a reflection value etc., no matter if there's any
light_sources (or cameras) or not. But here too, you can only see it if
there's light and camera.

They're very coherent.

> Pigment and normal have an independent value, which is,
> later, affected by environment.

No, you can't see your pigment if there's no camera and light_sources.

> So, finish RELY on environment, while pigment
> and normal are AFFECTED by environment.

Your arguments just don't make sense.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated October 1)