POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 28 Sep 2000 15:15:27
Message: <39d398cf@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:39d1d49a@news.povray.org...
>   So the power of a language is measured by the number of lines it takes
> to do something.

Well, if lines of codes do not count, then do switch to assembler. You will
have the pleasure of writing from 10 to 20 lines for each C/C++ line....

I thought it would be obvious, but apparently it is not, so I spell out the
whole story.

POVRay language defines objects and their property, plus how they are build
to together. No discussion about the objects and property side, but the
build together side could be vastly improved by another language. Think of
what could you do if instead of just #macro's you have a complete OO
language capable of creating scenes (i.e. assembling POV primitives). It is
exactly the same as saying that #macro's (who needs more programming power?)
are useless instead of being the gigantic improvement of POV 3.1.

You want an example? Consider what could you do if, instead of having fixed
values inside a color_map, you could create a color_map from arbitrary
code... each value the result of a function call... and this is just an
example.

Still, if the POVTeam does not want to do something, they just have to say
'NO' and nobody will complain.

P.S.:
    do you prefer a 30 lines XML perl parser or a 500KB C++ xml parser
(Xerces?). Which one is simpler to understand?

P.P.S:
    I want to start a flame war. Add to POVRay 4 the capability of using XML
files as language input.

Bye...