POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Background transparent... : Re: Making Background transparent... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:07:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Background transparent...
From: Rune
Date: 27 Sep 2000 08:58:24
Message: <39d1eef0@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" wrote:
> Rune proposes that they should be ignored in the color channels
> and only the alpha channel carried information about them.
> This would make more sense if a) the background color is stored
> in the image somehow

I don't understand why. You don't come with any arguments. Try to provide an
example to demonstrate what you mean. I have made both an image example and
in the reply to warp a mathematical demonstration of why my method makes
more sense. You haven't commented on either of those. Please tell me exactly
why they are wrong.

> and b) sky_sphere is not used.

The sky_sphere works in the alpha channel the same way as a solid object so
it makes perfectly sense to use it.

> I dont' really know how this will affect fog, global media
> and rainbow effects. I am pretty sure it will mess the former
> two up, though.

Keep in mind that my original point was only about how the alpha channel
worked together with anti-aliasing, not how it works in general. I'd like to
go on and discuss those aspects later, but first I'd like to know why you
think my method is wrong in general.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated August 7)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org