POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Background transparent... : Re: Making Background transparent... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:08:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Background transparent...
From: Rune
Date: 26 Sep 2000 17:57:54
Message: <39d11be2@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" wrote:
> So, when anti-aliasing, how should POV treat rays that hit
> the background? Ignore them?

For antialiased pixels where only some of the rays hit the background I have
already explained what to do. However, for antialiased pixels where *all*
the rays hit the background we have a special case.

Since the pixel is 100% transparent technically the colour is indifferent.
Of course POV-Ray has to assign a colour anyway, and that is the colour that
is shown in programs that doesn't support the alpha channel. An obvious
choice to assign to those pixels would be the background colour specified by
the user. But remember that this colour should only be used in pixels that
are 100% background (= 100% transparent).

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated August 7)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org