POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : distinguishing types in scene language : Re: distinguishing types in scene language Server Time
3 May 2024 00:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: distinguishing types in scene language
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Sep 2000 17:20:51
Message: <39ce7033$1@news.povray.org>
In article <39ce6e42@news.povray.org> , "Neil Freebairn"
<nei### [at] lineonenet> wrote:

> Is there any way to tell a identifier which evaluates to a vector from an
> identifier which evaluates to a real? Essentially, I want a way to determine
> the type of an identifier. I want to create a macro like this

Please do not use excessive cross-posting. See the "Cross-Posting Guidelines
for news.povray.org" in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

Regarding your question, there is no function to determine the type.
However, as the result of any function in POV-Ray is deterministic, you
should always know which variable type a variable is.  For a printing macro,
you would then just pass that information along with the variable.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.