POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Background transparent... : Re: Making Background transparent... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Background transparent...
From: Rune
Date: 23 Sep 2000 06:53:35
Message: <39cc8baf@news.povray.org>
"David Fontaine" wrote:
> When using aa, does POV aa the alpha channel too so
> you can have a smooth transition to the background?

Yes, but unfortunately the *colour* isn't antialiased correctly.

When alpha is on, POV-Ray still use the background colour when it calculates
AA'ed pixels. It shouldn't. It's like it takes the background into account
twice - both in the colours and in the transparency. It should only do it in
the transparency.

Say you have a red sphere on a black background. The AA'ed pixels should
have the same red colour as the sphere but with some transparency. But
instead they are a darker red with some transparency because they are mixed
with the black background colour.

Result: When you use the alpha channel together with antialiasing, objects
will seem to have a very thin halo around them with the same colour as the
background colour you originally used.

But a much bigger problem is the way POV-Ray handles (semi-)transparent
objects. They are handled as though they were solid.

I'm not saying it's a bug. Maybe it's just an (in my opinion) unwanted
feature. But I would certainly appreciate it if somebody would fix it!

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org