POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Turbulence and warps for objects - could it be possible? : Re: Turbulence and warps for objects - could it be possible? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:10:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turbulence and warps for objects - could it be possible?
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 22 Sep 2000 19:44:53
Message: <39cbeef5@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov schrieb in Nachricht
<7kimss85rdilu1h3ea92p9if2a1m5q6isc@4ax.com>...
>Well, since a ray is defined as a starting point (which is fixed) and
>a direction, you'll only be able to perturbate the direction vector
>(not to be confused with the camera direction vector). That's what the
>camera normal is there for.

Yes of course, but that effects the hole scene.

>What you're looking after is adding turbulence to the intersection
>point. But, in order to do that, you'll first have to find it first,
>and then it already has to be perturbed.

Hm, I see ... the objects are not asked "what do you have to say to the
Point <x,y,z>?" :-)

>The only way you can achieve
>that is to have the turbulence biult into the object equation, in
>qhich case you'll have to resort to using isosurfaces, which are
>currently available in MegaPOV and will be available in POV 3.5

Well I thought it could be made a feature for all Pov-Primitives, but that
seems to be quite naiv.  The algorithm to find the intersection points for
Pov-Primitives is probably quite different from that one for isosurfaces
(thus making it so fast).

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

Marc-Hendrik