POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:27:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Warp
Date: 9 Sep 2000 16:08:40
Message: <39ba98c8@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
: I can look at the first few seconds and then walk away.
: Without a progressive render along the way, I would have to decide it's OK, then
: change my POVRAY.INI (or --gasp-- use command line rendering)  and then render.

  You sound like using the command line field would be harder than editing
an ini file.

:>   Secondly: With progressive render you can't use antialiasing.

: You're obviously more informed than I, but must this be true?

  Ok, it's not true. You can use antialiasing, but only for every pixel.
That is, your image will get (by default) 9 times slower to render. That is,
if your scene renders in 1 hour without antialiasing, it will take
approximately 9 hours with antialiasing.

: AA happens by comparing pixel colors to those around it. If there is too much
: difference, it sends out new pixels, right?

  Yes, but if there are no nearby pixels, how can you know if the current
pixel has to be antialiased or not?

  Also continuing an interrupted render may cause problems with this kind
of progressive rendering.