POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spotlight modification suggestion... : Re: Spotlight modification suggestion... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlight modification suggestion...
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 9 Sep 2000 11:07:59
Message: <39ba524f$1@news.povray.org>
"Equiprawn" <equ### [at] tinetie> wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I have a suggestion for a small (I think) modification to spotlights in
> future versions of Povray. At the moment, they only originate from points
> (clearly demonstratable if you put a spotlight in media). If would be a
> great improvement if you could specify a starting radius for the light
beam.

> I have posted an example image in p.b.i (rendered with Macromedia Extreme
> 3D) to help explain.

You can currently do something like this with MegaPov using
"projected_through".  I'm pretty sure that you could use projected_through
with a plane that is in the spotlight's path, and the light would start at
the plane, instead of at the light's origin.

-Nathan