POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I'm back..with an apology. : Re: I'm back..with an apology. Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back..with an apology.
From: Chris Cason
Date: 9 Sep 2000 02:17:56
Message: <39b9d614@news.povray.org>
"David Fontaine" <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> What's this FPG banned from distro'ing POV? I must know more...

They caused us a heap of trouble. The version of 1.0 that they distributed
without our permission was chopped up (by them) so it would fit on their
1.44mb cover floppy disks. It was therefore missing some important files,
which WE got the blame for when it wouldn't work properly. Basically it was
a support nightmare (that was back in the days when we didn't mind if folks
emailed us personally and stuff like that).

Then they tried to put v2 on a cover disk, again without getting our perm
until the last moment when the author of the article in question contacted
us. We said no, they said 'well the disks are already being made and we go
to press in three days ...'.

Working through a middle-man (someone at compuserve) we reluctantly agreed
to the publishing (making best of a bad situation as they were going to go
ahead anyhow) on condition that they provide us with copies of the mag in
question (they never did), and provide us a write-up in the next issue or
so of the magazine, explaining who we are and what we do (they never did
that either). There might have been some other things they promised but never
came through on as well, but those two are the ones that stick in my mind.

We also know that FP has bundled our software on other magazines, also with
no permission (the Amiga version comes to mind).

Basically, in my personal opinion, all FP saw POV as was something that helps
them sell more mags ; there was no other incentive for them to bundle our
software, and once they had achieved that, we heard nothing more from them.

So we banned them permanently, and they deserve it, it's that simple. Other
magazines and books often get permission, so folks get exposure to POV from
them. FP doesn't own the publishing world (fortunately) though to some it
may seem as if they do.