POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:29:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 7 Sep 2000 17:52:23
Message: <39b80e17@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> Careful there, you'll get Warp all revved up again.  What you're talking
> about is structured programming, not OOP.

OOP requires encapsulation (only XXX_ macros work with a particular setup of
the associative array), inheritance (if the generic object has "location"
and "texture" attributes, macros working only with them with work with any
associative array) and polymophism, which in our context looks to me almost
useless. OO languages make things automatic but, given that thing called
SELF-DISCIPLINE, you can  develop OO code even with assembler... it is
"just" the way you look at it.

Obviously, if POVTeam throws in a GNU/Panorama-like OO scene description
language, I am not going to cry!!!!

Bye!!!!

P.S.: I proposed the associative array escamotage because it: 1) does not
require much code , 2) has the least impact upon POV description language
(if you don't like it, you just don't use it).