POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Need help with Avi setting! : Re: Need help with Avi setting! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:36:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with Avi setting!
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 6 Sep 2000 10:45:31
Message: <39b6588b@news.povray.org>
"Rene" <rhe### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> The term "frame rate" I understand, but what exactly is "key frame rate" ?
If I
> use different settings for "key frame rate", for example 1 or 10 and keep
the
> "frame rate" set at 20 per second for instance the speed of the animation
stays
> the same of course. So what does it do?
> What about data rate?
> Any other ideas about the avi compression.... what codec settings are
best?

warning : All this is IIRC and unchecked
* "key frame" is an uncompressed frame (image) in the resulting file. "key
frame rate" then could be "put a key-frame every [n] frames" or "every
[time]".

* "data rate" setting is a way to limit the size of the file in a particular
but very useful way. If your anim is to be read from a slow device (eg 1x
CdRom), you are limited by the transfer rate of the device. If the anim
exceed that data rate, it will stutter. "data rate" makes the compression
amount vary locally in the anim to guarantee the resulting file never
(nowhere / nowhen) does exceed the data rate.

Povingly,

Philippe