POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Update on status of POV-Ray v3.5 official : Re: Update on status of POV-Ray v3.5 official Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Update on status of POV-Ray v3.5 official
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 4 Sep 2000 09:18:09
Message: <39b3a111@news.povray.org>
"Alessandro Coppo" <a.c### [at] iolit> wrote in message

| * Mesh2 means being able to use the whole world of meshes (the world
outside
| uses almost only meshes and not primitives like POV).

Brings up the question about POV-Ray exportability to meshes.
I was watching a show about a 3D modeling apparatus on the University
Channel (UCLA I think).  It laminated layers of paper together to create
real life models from computer generated ones.  Second time I've seen that.
Also, there's the plastic resin (?) modeling machines which build layer upon
layer up, similar to plotters.
Obviously you could never do that with a POV-Ray scene file until you had a
tessellated mesh object.  And the money to afford the machine(s) or pay for
a place to do it for you.  Anyhow, it's somewhat of a well-known fact that
there's not a POV-Ray export feature.  I can see how it would be a real boon
to be able to get from POV-Ray into other programs or devices.  POV-Ray
seems to be thought of as a end point when it comes to models.
I don't know if the meshes used in POV-Ray are ever exported out or not
already though.

Bob