POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : inverse used in nested loop error : Re: inverse used in nested loop error Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: inverse used in nested loop error
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 3 Sep 2000 16:27:06
Message: <39b2b41a@news.povray.org>
news:39b2ad4d@news.povray.org...

| OK, the problem is in your scene - more or less.  As you may have noticed,
| once you add "inverse" you get the "Camera is inside a non-hollow object.
| Fog and participating media may not work as expected." warning.

I see, I would have never suspected the camera within a large number of
non-hollow objects being the cause.

| Well, if you check your scenes, the camera is not inside one hollow object
| or two, no, it is contained inside a few hundred non-hollow objects! And
| POV-Ray has in internal limit of the maximum non-hollow objects a camera
can
| be contained in (100). This limit is set by the extension that allows you
| place cameras inside objects in the first place.

Yes, well actually "200 frame level", as the stats tell it, and "100
infinite".  So I gather it's the infinite that are non-hollow objects.
Since one less loop and it's fine.  Non-hollow, infinite.. makes sense to
me.

| Your scene is unlikely to render in any way as you expect because of this
| anyway (why should everything in your scene be inverse? - then there is no
| difference between it and a non-inverse scene!).  The solution is not to
use
| "inverse" on infinite objects in your scene.

Luckily that particular method wasn't needed, the non-error way works fine.
I only stumbled upon the wrong way while trying to get there.

| Further, if the POV-Ray documentation does not already contain a warning
| about cameras in non-hollow objects, such a section should probably be
| added...

Empty and Hollow section is there, just haven't seen any mention of a
limitation for how many there can be.
Very grateful to you for solving this question Thorsten.   Not a bug is the
prognosis, I can live with that.

Bob