POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TUTORIAL WRITERS: 10 Best CD, Tutorial uploading format? : Re: TUTORIAL WRITERS: 2nd proposal..... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TUTORIAL WRITERS: 2nd proposal.....
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 1 Sep 2000 08:49:20
Message: <39afa5d0@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote in message

| IMAGE COLLECTION
| The "Your 10 Best Images" Collection will take up 3 Mb per person.
| Math: (0.25 Mb/image * 10 images +0.5M safety factor, thumbnails,etc.) = 3
Mb
| The number of participants could be from 20 to 750 (The pre-announcement
page is
| ALREADY being linked to from the Japanese povray webring!)
| So for just the image collection, this could easily fill up a CD.  200
people *
| 3 Mb/person=600 Mb.

Whoa.  I realize now how I confused this with the person wanting to do
printable images at 3200x2400 resolution, asked about the same time all this
was started.  I've read your web page and found how wrong I was.  Thank
goodness.  Upwards of 200 to 300 people eh?  I was thinking it might pull in
50 at most, even only half that.  I'm thinking very coservatively I suppose.

| TUTS
| Yes, I'd like a consistent feel. But also I want the upload process to be
| extremely orderly, as we are talking thousands of files on the server
already
| from the other collection.  Instructions to the masses of, "just go ahead
and
| upload your tutorials by ftp" doesn't cut it by my judgement.

I can see personality goes with any tutorial.  Maybe it could work fine
using the template idea if there's simply a common method of hyperlinking
from place to place.  Like a web-ring section of HTML added to each page;
but mostly customized by each person.  What do you think?  Or would it be
best to have one (don't know how else to describe it) default web-ring
section.  Anyway, it would simply be a copy & paste into each page.

|  So should I make 20, 25, 250 spaces on the upload web page for files? I'm
| wondering who's going to have something of real value with more than 25
jpg's.

More than two dozen sure sounds like overkill to me, you could sum up all of
MegaPov with 50 images probably.  Any tutorial will most likely be a
specific subject or smaller range of subjects.

I wanted to commend you on your efforts Greg, I don't think I've said that
yet so wanted to make sure I did.

Bob