POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Parsing : Re: POV Parsing Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Parsing
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 30 Aug 2000 10:07:22
Message: <39ad151a@news.povray.org>

> No, the reason for the slow parsing of POV-Ray scenes are mostly related to
> memory allocation.  Please note that this topic has been discussed for an
> endless time before, just go back far enough in either povray.general or
> povray.programming .

I've kind of wondered about that.  I have a scene that parses in 15 minutes,
or rather, all the *code* is read in in 15 minutes.  All the #render lines
are printed, but it's another 2.5 hours before it gets around to setting up
the scene.  Why is this?  Does it do a preparse, where it checks the code,
then allocates memory?  The scene is memory intensive, so that would make
sense.

However, it's really annoying.  I use the #render messages to know how far
it's gotten in the parse, but it's useless if it only tells how far it is in
the parse and not how far along it is towards actually starting on the
scene.

The other question I have is, why does memory allocation take so long
compared to the inital parse?

Geoff