POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Just a suggestion.... : Re: Just a suggestion.... Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:39:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a suggestion....
From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2000 08:48:08
Message: <39aa5f87@news.povray.org>
25ct <25c### [at] lineonenet> wrote:
:       Hi Warp.  I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything. On the
: contrary, *I* think some of you guys and girls, IMO, are as good as
: *professionals*. From what I've seen, that's the catagory I would put you
: povers in, but that's because I concider myself an amateur, that's all.

  It's a common (mis)conception that "amateur" means more or less a newbie,
someone who doesn't know very well how to do the thing, and "professional"
means someone very skilled in the task, one who makes excellent quality job.
This is common in many languages (finnish and apparently also english).
  We have to remember that the meaning of these words has little to do with
how skilled the person is. "Amateur" means that the person is making it as
a hobby and receives no money for it (or if he receives some money, it's so
little that he can't live only with it). "Professional" means that the person
is doing it as his job, he makes money with it and lives making that job.
  An amateur can be better than a professional. For example an amateur golf
player can win a professional one. Still, the amateur is an amateur (hobbyist)
and the professional is still professional (he makes money by doing it).

  Of course it's more common that a randomly selected professional makes
better job than a randomly selected amateur because the professional has
more experience. Still, that doesn't mean that an amateur can't be better
than many professionals.

:      Can you tell me Warp, when the next topic will be released, for the
: next stills comp? I'd seriously like to put my mind to it and have a go.

  No idea, sorry.