POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : height field object of new type : Re: height field object of new type Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height field object of new type
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 27 Aug 2000 22:20:45
Message: <39a9cc7d$1@news.povray.org>
"matt giwer" <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote...
> I first implemented a visualization with a mesh save that generated 19M
> data files, took forever and would crash a linux graphics terminal.

You could try using MegaPov's mesh2 - it uses less space to store the same
data.

> Why should I or anyone have to hack an image file format? Not having
> stared at the source files I assume all it is doing is extracting the
> above data in the first place. Why not simply a format to read it
> directly?

If you're getting your data from some sort of pattern (such as an
iso-function), then you could use the "pattern" image type in MegaPov.  It
will generate image data internally from a pigment.

You could also use the iso-function directly in an isosurface, though the
render time may be slower that way.

-Nathan