POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Rebuilt pose2pov : Re: OBJuvPOV Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:56:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJuvPOV
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 23 Aug 2000 06:21:06
Message: <39a3a592@news.povray.org>
"Christophe Bouffartigue" <Chr### [at] nanterremarellifr>
wrote in message news:39A3796C.3E6CE5A5@nanterre.marelli.fr...
> Cliff Bowman wrote:
> >

> > > I often use OBJuvPOV in conjonction with UVMapper, and it works
> > > perfectly for me
> > > (except that the camera and light location are generated with ','
> > > instead of '.'
> > > in the numbers (am I clear ??)...)
> > >

> > Possibly. It attempts to calculate reasonable light and camera positions
> > based on the model. so, for example, for the Poser4 lo-resolution casual
> > female (with no hair) exported as box.obj (for reasons too silly to go
into)
> > it produces the following .POV file (but without the annotations which
I've
> > added manually).
>
> What I was talking about is the separator used between the int part and
> decimal part of the floats int camera locations. On a french system,
> this separator is a ',', not a '.'. I think that VB use the default
> separator of the system to print floats, so my camera declaration was
> somethong like that:
>
> camera {
>  location < 0,32145, 0,7521, -0,4582> // 5 ',' in a vector, POV doesn't
> like that :)
>  look_at < 0,32145, 0,7521, -0,00321>
> }
>
> and the same for light source locations....

Doh! Sudden dawning <light bulb flashes on and as in a like a cheap SF
program>

Hmmm... Do you think it's worth my addressing, or is it easy enough to
change the .POV files? For that matter - how well are the meshes coming out?
If they're getting some "," characters instead of "." characters I cans see
that messing up big time (potentially, at least). I hadn't even though about
countries not using "." as the decimal place operator (though more and more
I see figures presented that way on paper - annoys the biggins out of me).
The "completely new lots of wonderful new features written all in C++"
version (OBJuvMOD) is still a *long* way away even if I get it to do
everything I want (for example, adding normals to .OBJ meshes without
normals, editing normals semi-visually so that meshes with normal errors can
be corrected, possibly other features that I'd *like* to do, like UV Map
co-ordinate editing) so don't be expecting the new program to replace
OBJuvPOV this side of Christmas (at least). I expect my health to be good
enough to return to work soon (with luck) so I'll have even less time for
development work too :(

> For all the rest, it's a great program, and works almost perfectly. I
> had a problem, once, with a mesh without normals, it generated a bad
> mesh2, but using a conversion program to add normal information was the
> solution....
> So far, I've used OBJuvPOV to convert OBJ mesh that comes from various
> 3D software (Lightwave esentially, after conversion in OBJ), but last
> night, I've converted my first real Poser OBJ file, and all was OK, so,
> one more time: IT'S A GREAT PROG !!!!

It's a simple hack knocked up by someone who needed it himself. Given all
I've had out of the POV-Ray community (by way of scene source, helpful
comments etc.) I'd be a bit rude not to offer it around. IMO :)

The next effort will, I hope, be much more worthy of the accolade "program"
and less prone to the term "hack". But we'll see...

--
Cheers,
Cliff Bowman

http://www.geocities.com/who3d/