POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Rebuilt pose2pov : Re: Rebuilt pose2pov Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:57:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rebuilt pose2pov
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 21 Aug 2000 12:43:53
Message: <39a15c49@news.povray.org>
"Simon Lacey" <sfl### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > Halbert,
>
> I finally resolved my problem! I found an excellent tutorial titled "Using
> UV-mapping with POV-Ray meshes" at
>
> http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/sources/tutuve.htm
>
> Its a very pragmatic tutorial written in June 2000 and states in part:
> "Presently there is no 100% reliable way to convert an ObJ or 3DS file
with UV
> mapping to POV"
> But he goes on to describe several different ways of going about it.
>
> The thing that helped me was that he describes how to edit the texture
file
> (file nameT.inc) that Pose2POV produces. I went in and using the POV
editor
> replaced all the default texture statements with statements declaring a
texture
> based on the image map and that did the trick. The render quality of POV
is
> beautiful compared to Poser's render or even the Vue D'esprit render.
>
> So in summary the current problems seem to be:
>
> 1. Pose2POV needs to work on a single mesh rather than a collection of
meshes
> otherwise you don't get a usable UDO in Moray..
> 2. The output file filename.inc seems still to lack the #version
unofficial
> MegaPOV 0.5; statement and I had to add this by hand.
> 3. The filenameT.inc has a default texture rather than image map and Moray
> doesn't seem to be able to overwrite this when producing the files for
POV, or
> at least I haven't found out how to do it other than to manually alter the
file
> in POV's editor.
>
> All of these can at least be worked round now.
> Thanks a lot, HH!

I don't know how late I am but...

I've recently(ish) updated my OBJuvPOV program to add the #version
unofficial MegaPOV 0.5 line to it's output. It copes with multiple meshes as
far as I've used it and produces 2 files - a .inc file which holds the mesh
and a .pov file which defines the textures (you'd have to specify the
bitmap/s you want to use) and calls the .inc file.

I haven't uploaded the update due to assuming there was a lack of interest,
but if people want my little Visual Basic 5 effort then it's free. Limited,
but free. This was a quick hack (adding the #version) because long term I
hope to include .OBJ to .POV functionality within a little normal editor
(because far too many .OBJ files have normal problems for my liking and,
well, it's something to do).

--
Cheers,
Cliff Bowman