POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : POVRay to 3DS conversion? : Re: POVRay to 3DS conversion? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:03:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay to 3DS conversion?
From: Ken
Date: 29 Oct 2000 23:29:11
Message: <39FCF94B.48DA9C88@pacbell.net>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> > Does anyone know if there is a way to convert .pov files to .3DS or .MAX
> > files?
>
> Or the opposite, convert a .3DS or .MAX to .pov?  this way I can add radiosity,
> arrange the scene add really POVRAY-oriented features that look so much better
> in povray and render this thing with povray...  ??

You can convert many different 3d file types into a format that
POV-Ray can use. What you get is a mesh object for your efforts.
Not all 3D file formats can be converted and to my knowlege .MAX
is one of them. This because of severe restrictions that the
creators of 3D MAX place on their proprietary file formats.

Anyway take a look at 3DWin at http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/

of for other conversion utilities check out -

http://www.povray.org/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/