POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : POVRay to 3DS conversion? : Re: POVRay to 3DS conversion? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 07:57:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay to 3DS conversion?
From: Ken
Date: 28 Oct 2000 00:22:04
Message: <39FA549B.96FD2CF0@pacbell.net>
Michael Sobers wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a way to convert .pov files to .3DS or .MAX
> files?

It is generally agreed that it is not really possible.

> I tried to download "Crossroads" but the link was down.  Is this an
> effective utility for converting POV 3.1 files, or will it only work with
> older versions?  Thanks!

This link works (just tested it) - http://home.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/

Crossroads will read a "union" of triangles and convert it to whatever
Crossroads supports as far as exports BUT it will not read a mesh or
any of the other POV-Ray primitives and export them. In this sense it
is very limited and even reading a union of triangles it often gets
it wrong. It depends on how well behaved the union of triangles that
you are trying to convert is.