POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Your 10 best images : Re: ANNOUNCE: Your 10 best images Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Your 10 best images
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Oct 2000 13:58:34
Message: <39F47C4A.DADA6AD1@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> 1) I think that not that many people have yet heard about it.   My geocities
> statistics for the  http://www.geocities/pterandon/10best.html page showed only 223
> hits after several months existence; when I had a tutorial web page advertised on
> http://povray.org, it got 1000 hits very quickly.  My conclusion is that many more
> people will see something discussed on http://povray.org than on

I understand that problem, a good idea would be working stronger on
advertisement - offering banners to be placed on personal websites, doing
translations of the announcement pages to different languages (i could help with
a german version), asking related websites apart from povray.org to make
announcements...

Maybe also a more eye-catching layout for the page - i like it as it is, but not
everyone does ...

[...]
> 3) In any case, I anticipate  December 15 for OPENING of submissions; with a min of
> 2 weeks, perhaps longer.  I also anticipate the complications of setting up the
> tutorial pages to take longer.  Also, if  20 people participate instead of 200 or
> 20000 we may have to extend the deadline much much longer or drop the project
> altogether.

I think that's a problematic point, because many people especially hesitate to
take part in a project that has no definite future (i know that's quite a
dilemma, because the future is mainly influenced by the people taking part :) so
i would not suggest opening submissions without a defined deadline.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>