POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Your 10 best images : Re: ANNOUNCE: Your 10 best images Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Your 10 best images
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 23 Oct 2000 11:41:47
Message: <39F45AD6.BFA443C1@my-dejanews.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > We are formally announcing the 10best project.  (Ken, please
> > aggressively advertise this!)
> >
> [...]
>
> The whole thing seems to be quite a long term project, you are writing about
> submissions not before end of november.  Of course that gives the chance to
> promote the project and gives possibilities to plan things like tutorials for
> it, but since first announcement was already some time ago i would suggest not
> to wait too long for the finish (how about the end of the year as final deadline
> ?)
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
> Homepage: http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/

Good points.

1) I think that not that many people have yet heard about it.   My geocities
statistics for the  http://www.geocities/pterandon/10best.html page showed only 223
hits after several months existence; when I had a tutorial web page advertised on
http://povray.org, it got 1000 hits very quickly.  My conclusion is that many more
people will see something discussed on http://povray.org than on

2) Yes, I'm always open to extending the date further out in time.  There are going
to be delays. Yesterday's announcement was delayed because I found my ability to
learn PHP to be much slower than I expected and hence had to get help from a friend
for that submission page at the bottom.  The one thing I *don't* want to do is tell
submitters/judges to do one thing and then come back and say do this thing again in
a different way.  I'd rather jerk people around by giving them more time :) than
jerk them around by asking them do something once and redo it again  :(   .

3) In any case, I anticipate  December 15 for OPENING of submissions; with a min of
2 weeks, perhaps longer.  I also anticipate the complications of setting up the
tutorial pages to take longer.  Also, if  20 people participate instead of 200 or
20000 we may have to extend the deadline much much longer or drop the project
altogether.