POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : processors : processors Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  processors
From: Paul Daniel Jones
Date: 21 Oct 2000 10:29:35
Message: <39F1A899.FE152E6B@psu.edu>
So, there is a lot of talk about clock speed, how it is the thing to
consider when buying a PC. Does this mean that the emphasis is not on
how many calculation you can do in a second because of shear processor
power, but rather how many you can do because the thing is just running
electrons around faster?? I liken it ot he old horse power/torque
debate. a 200 hp car with 120 lbs torque is much different than a 120 hp
truck with 200 lbs torque. Yeah the car is faster, but put 3 adult in it
and you lose a lot of your power.

So, what about a hypothetical PII 450 and a PIII 450.... I would think
(assuming that they all have the same set up....) the PIII is
preferable..... right??(as far as performance is concerned.)

I think most of it is advertising B.S. myself.....

As long as I can produce a perfect sphere on an infinite checker board,
I am cool

-paul

--
Paul Daniel Jones